therion-users

Re: [Therion] 3D models

From: Wolfgang Zillig
Subject: Re: [Therion] 3D models
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:32:08 +0100

Stacho Mudrak schrieb:

>Wolfgang Zillig wrote:
>

>>I'm under WinXP ;-((
>>

>Why do you see WinXP as a problem?
>
>The whole therion developement is currently running under WinXP and
>Micorsoft Visual C++ and it is much faster then before, when I was using
>free tools under linux. Especially aplying code changes when the program
>is running is very handy feature I did not see in any free developement
>environment :)))

no, I don't have much problems with xp. It only sounded a little bit
like that I need Macosx for the 3dim part (3dmf). Probably a more
detailed information about the 3D part would be nice in the manual or in
the wiki (howto, 3D-viewer, ....)

>>Can you give me some references to the documentation of vrml? I think
>>I'll have to prepare my surfave grid better (triangles) or something
>>like this and not independent lines in x and y direction.
>>When I've seen it right, the coordinate in the vrml file are not in real
>>UTM coordinates. Can you give me a hint how to prepare my data so that I
>>can include it manually?
>>

>Reading your e-mail, you are probably not using therion surface object.
>Are you?

Probably not. I've included the survace in a very simple way: I created
a list of fixpoints

survey dem
 centreline
 flags surface
fix x0y0 723150 2291580 876.52
fix x1y0 723240 2291580 900.91
fix x2y0 723330 2291580 921.25

data nosurvey from to
x0y0 x1y0
x1y0 x2y0
x2y0 x3y0
x3y0 x4y0
x4y0 x5y0

So this is possible not the best way to do it, but it seems that I
missed the correct way of doing it in the manual. So I will read the
manual again.

>There you can specify surface grid quite easily without taking care for
>triangles etc. You can also specify bitmap JPEG file, that will be in
>the future covering this surface in 3D. Currently this bitmap file is
>used in the PDF output.
>
>When you will do it like this - you will be able to see surface also in
>the xtherion 3D viewer and vrml. And editing transparency in VRML will
>be just a question of changing one number.

i included once a graphic in the pdf but I did not check the xtherion 3D
viewer and the vrml that time (also no DEM was included at that time).
The last view times I exported the cave as dxf, converted it into a ESRI
shapefile and did the overlay externally.

>>I will try out this, but first I have to get the lrud data ;-((
>>

>Do you have your 3D data in some other caving software?
>
>S.

No still in the survey book. :-(((  (And it's not my survey book)

Wolfgang