therion-users

Re: [therion] Re: [Therion] Wishlist - scrap preview, low-res preview

From: Wookey
Subject: Re: [therion] Re: [Therion] Wishlist - scrap preview, low-res preview
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:34:49 +0100

Stacho Mudrak wrote:

> Wookey wrote:
>
> MartinB had a suggestion, that scraps that connect within one file
> (have common end wall points) - should be joined automatically.
> Especially in the case, when you are redrawing already existing maps -
> it would be very usefull and it would save you some time.

Yes, that seems very sensible, it would hardly ever be the wrong thing
to do. Might be a bit confusing to new users (some join happen
magically, others do not), but certainly for the big redrawing I have
just done this would have saved quite a lot of time and fiddling about.

> With the new 3D engine - there should be possibility to export also 2D
> maps for 3D viewer. Having only coloured scrap outlines that are
> interactivly zoomable and scrollable and generated very fast (no
> metapost and PDFTeX needed) would be worth of it.
>
> The problem is, that new 3D engine is still only a future - I am not
> sure when it will be ready for preliminary beta release. It does not
> work now.
>
> But if you would like to - I can use survex 3d format also for 2D
> output. You would write:
>
> export map -o map.3d
>
> and there will be centerline and walls shown as lines in this file. I
> can label the wall points with scrap names, so you should be able to
> preview your work easily. What do you think?

If it is not too hard then that sounds really useful -  let's try it.

> I am just missing reload button in aven/xcaverot, but this I should
> write to survex mailing list.

Yes, I have wanted that many times too.

Wookey