sysvinit-devel

Re: [sysvinit-devel] Older startpar tarballs?

From: Dr. Werner Fink
Subject: Re: [sysvinit-devel] Older startpar tarballs?
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 09:15:54 +0100

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 12:49:10PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Dr. Werner Fink]
> > Sorry for the delay.  I'm very busy with systemd :}
>
> Aha.  Any fun war stories to share? :)
>
> > The latest version can be found at
> >
> >  https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/sysvinit
>
> Thanks.  Do you have earlier versions too?  I managed to find some
> older versions, and placed them in
> 0.54, 0.57 and 0.58), but failed to find the other versions.

The earliest version I have is 0.52 found on openSUSE:Evergreen:11.1

> I plan to split out startpar into its own package in Debian, to make
> it easier to maintain.  At the moment it exist as a patch against the
> sysvinit package, and is a true pain to work with.
>
> > beside this the last insserv SVN seems to have problems talking with
> > systemd which had the lead to a simple perl script here for insserv
> > below systemd systems.
>
> I'm just starting to look at systemd/insserv integration, after
> noticing it as one of the new things in insserv 0.16.0.  Can you tell
> us more?  Any but reports to point to?

There are problems with enabling/disabling SysVinit scripts if systemd
is used.  This seems to be a synchronizing problem as the communication
is done via dbus.  This was the reason why here a simple perl script
enables the SysVinit scripts below the SysVinit runlevel directories
and the rest is done by systemd.

Also using `systemctl enable <sysvinit>.service' will execute chkconfig
which then also executes insserv.

> > Also there is a bug in sulogin with the single linked list of
> > consoles.  The version of util-linux I've ported is OK as it uses a
> > double linked list.
>
> Perhaps something to fix in sysvinit too?

If sulogin from sysvinit is used then this it should be done.
Albeit most times ther ewill be only one or two devices below
the system console and for this the single linked list works.
Only if a third comes in play then the bug will hit.

Werner