synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution switch in main window

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Distribution switch in main window
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 11:13:15 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 18.08.2004, 11:12 +0200 schrieb Jens Hatlak:
> Michael Vogt wrote:

Hi Jens,

> >>What I'd like to see is that very Distribution switch in the main
> >>Synaptic window, e.g. next to the search button. Off by default and only
> >>activatable for experts, of course. I think it would be very handy.
> >
> > Synaptic has to rebuild the package cache when you change the default
> > distribution. This can take a couple of seconds. Do you think this is
> > acceptable?
>
> Yes, definitely. And it is quite consistent: It also takes some time
> when you search for something, do an "Update" or whatever.

Reloading the package cache also includes the loss of all not yet
applied changes. So I would vote against adding simple combobox.

Furthermore I don't know how synapitc should realize if a user is an
expert or not? :)

> > It would be very nice if we would add a configurable toolbar in the
> > future. We could add cool toolbar entries like this distribution
> > switch, a shortcut for the "foce version" and other things (off by
> > default, but available).
>
> Yes, but that is probably more work and will be postponed.

May I ask you why you always switch your debian distru? Installing a
package from unstable should also include the installation of
dependencies from unstable.

I think that features should be implemented in a "right" (consistent)
way and not in a request/quick-hack-manner.

> >>Another question I'd like to ask is whether the ability to select from
> >>which distribution a single package should be installed (using radio
> >>buttons) will come back. It was present in earlier versions (0.4x I
> >>think) but went away, due to a rewrite I guess.
> >
> > It there again in 0.52 under "Packages/Force Version".
>
> OK, but that is rather hard to access, UI-wise.

There is also still room to improve the dialog. E.g. we could replace
the combobox by radio buttons.

Regards,

Sebastian