synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Testversion 1 for 0.53 available

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Testversion 1 for 0.53 available
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 22:58:05 +0200

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 04:18:22PM -0400, sashko wrote:
> >- reworked the column editor (thanks Sebastian)
> I'm just thinking what if column editor implementation will be done like
> that one on the screenshot attached (thunderbird), it seems to be common
> for gtk applications, isn't it? And column rearrangement can be done by
> drag'n'drop there.

I like the idea of having a right-click menu to control what columns
are visible. This allows quick switching on/off of the columns. I will
have a serious look at this later.

I plan to add optional "section" and "component" columns to the tree
that are not shown by default. But quick switching is importend for
this idea I think.

About the drag'n'drop: it's definitly something nice, but it's
something I want to see implemented from gtk upstream.

> >- various bugfixes
> what about to put the Force Version button directly on the "versions
> tab" like Michael Vogt said before?

This is something we may change later. The implementation of the
properties display changed between 0.48<->0.50+. This make the code a
lot cleaner, but it makes the "buttons-in-properties-feature" hard.

> And about that "hackish" search implementataion.
> I'm using couple application which also have search-im-the-list
> implemented. It works like:
> you type "a"  - all the list is shrinked displaing the lines which start
> with "a"
> type "b" - the list is shrinked furthes to lines which start with "ab"
> and so on.

We tried this for synaptic with a little entry widget and dynamic
filtering. It was way slow on my 1Ghz maschine. Not unusable slow but
so slow that it was no fun. I can dig out the patch and post it here
if someone is interessted in testing.

thanks for your feedback,
 Michael

--
The first rule of holes is: when you find yourself in one, stop digging. - PJ