synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] Testversion 1 for 0.53 available

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] Testversion 1 for 0.53 available
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:53:45 +0200

Am Sonntag, den 01.08.2004, 20:28 +0200 schrieb Leendert Meyer:
> On Sunday 01 August 2004 18:34, Michael Vogt wrote:

> I installed the latter one (SuSE 9.1). Here's a preliminary report:

Dear Leendert,

thanks for sharing your experiences and opinion!

> > For the translators, the current translations can be found at:
> > https://oops.kerneljanitors.org/repos/synaptic/trunk/po
> >
> > We fixed quite a few bugs and added some features:
> >  - sort by Available Version and Installed Version
>
> Works well. I like the shading of the sorted column.

This is the behavior of all GTK treeviews (the column drawing control
thing is called so). So kudos to the GTK team!

> >  - task support (if distribution supports it)
> >  - GPG-Check button in Summary Window for RPM systems
>
> Works well. I like this one too.

The disabling of the signature verification is actually a bad work
around. The best would be to install and verify the correct GPG keys of
the vendors.

> >  - Properties of the package can optionally be shown in main window
>
> Hmmm, this probably needs a minimal size restriction. Some weird things
> happen
> at the bottom if the size is shrunk to the smallest possible (i.e. height=0),
> especially with the 'Common' tab. With 'weird things' I mean: the statusbar
> at the bottom is disturbed or covered by other widgets.

There are some problems in Glade, that we use to draw some windows. If
we disallow to shrink parts of the window the application might hang up
under some circumstances.

This was also one of the causes why we condemned the notbook (tabs) in
the main window in previous releases.

> The 'Common' tab needs a vertical scrollbar. All other tabs have one, and it
> appears if needed, but not the 'Common' tab.

Same as above. But scrolling native widgets is a bad decision - we
haven't had the time (yet) to implement a text field in the common tab.

> In the 'Version' tab, the Text color appears as gray (not black). Is this
> intended?

This is already fixed in the current development tree, but I thought
that this change would not be worth recompiling the packages.

Regards and thanks,

Sebastian