synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] Re: Synaptic 0.52 - string freeze

From: Sebastian Heinlein
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Re: Synaptic 0.52 - string freeze
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:42:29 +0200

Am Mo, den 28.06.2004 schrieb Jordi Mallach um 0:33:

> I have a few issues:
>
> # FIXME
> #: gtk/rgmainwindow.cc:456
> msgid ""
> "The package manager always selects the best version available. If you force "
> "a differnet version from the default one, errors in the dependency handling "
> "can occur."
>
> First, "the best version available" isn't good. I think you mean "newest
> version" or something similar? Especially in unstable, the latest
> version doesn't always mean the best version :)

Actually not. You also have to consider pinning. So Synaptic doesn't
always selects the latest version available. A good example would be the
whole experimental stuff. I am not 100% happy with "best", too. But
should we ignore the mentioned issue?

> Different is misspelled.

Fixed.

> # FIXME
> #. TRANSLATORS: Title of the changelog dialog - %s is the name of the package
> #: gtk/rgmainwindow.cc:1764
> #, c-format
> msgid "%s Changelog"
> msgstr "Registre de canvis de %s"
>
> Maybe "ChangeLog for %s" would be better?

The word "ChangeLog" only exists in cvs trees and is no real life word.
It is a question about being consistent: I named the title of the
properties dialog "%s Properties" to be consistent with the GNOME
desktop (nautilus) and I don't want to use different naming schemas in
synaptic.

I haven't noticed this. So I will pay attention to this in the future,
but I don't want to change the existing strings.

> Update attached.

The attachment is missing here.

Thanks for your efforts and the reporting!

Sebastian