synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] import

From: Panu Matilainen
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] import
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 08:56:58 +0200 (EET)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Michael Vogt wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 06:12:03PM +0100, mammique wrote:
> > Debian system because they are not familliar with command line, but
> > today some of them asked me how to install a package from a local file
> > (.deb) instead of a repository. It seem don't seems to be possible to
> > import file for the moment, is it planned to be implemented ? If not can
> > somebody do this ? It would also be usefull to install a .deb file with
> > Synaptic via a command, then it would be possible to install a .deb with
> > Synaptic by a right click from Nautilus :-) If nobody can, i maybe can
> > do some hack but i'm not familliar with c++ and synaptic code.
>
> Well, to get this "right", we need support from apt to do this. Also
> it is easy to just call "dpkg -i program.deb" this leads to problems
> if the deb needs dependencies that are not already installed.
>
> As apt is responsible to do dependency resolution and synaptic makes
> use of apt for this, we need support for local installs in apt. See
> for details. Once we have it in apt we'll immediately add it :)

>From the above bugreport it seems that the plan is to do the single file
support similarly to how apt-rpm does it so we could add it already and
enable it for Debian when the time comes...

Three cases which I think should eventually be handled:
- Add "Install individual package" type of menu entry where you get a
file selection box to pick a package from the disk
- Drag-and-drop a package into Synaptic to install it
- Pass package name on the command line (to allow associating .rpm and
.deb to synaptic as the handler)

Anything else?

        - Panu -