synaptic-devel

[Synaptic-devel] Extremely high memory consumption

From: Bernd Waibel
Subject: [Synaptic-devel] Extremely high memory consumption
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:38:28 +0100

Hello Synaptic developers,

when using synaptic over a time, doing some small updates (only about
1-10 packages at a time, but not only one update/install but doing this
some times) the memory consumption becomes very, very high.

Today synaptic uses about 1 gig of ram, after running about 2 hours. I
installed/updated around 100 packages, not at once, but as described
above in chunks of 1-10 packages. After one update, when synaptic reads
in the package file lists again, it usually allocates new memory, May
this be a memory leak? For me, it looks as if synaptic did not free its
previously used memory for the package lists.

I've seen a previous thread pointing this, but the thread was from
january and the reply (from Michael Vogt) sais to try version 0.47 of
synaptic. Ok, I use version 0.47 together with apt 0.5.15cnc5 on
fedora-core 1 and encounter the same problems, so I decided to write
again.

It's not the first time that I noticed the behaviour, but it was the
first time, that I noticed how much RAM synaptic actually uses. I only
installed and updated packages. Three packages were removed during the
session and I did not do any undo/redos.

You've done a very great work with synaptic, thanks to you all. Hope
this will improve this tool further.

Bernd Waibel