synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] import

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] import
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:42:19 +0100

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 06:12:03PM +0100, mammique wrote:
> hi,
Hi,

> i don't use synaptic myself but it install and suggest it to every
> people i install GNU/Linux for, it's the main piece to manage their

Great that you like synaptic.

> Debian system because they are not familliar with command line, but
> today some of them asked me how to install a package from a local file
> (.deb) instead of a repository. It seem don't seems to be possible to
> import file for the moment, is it planned to be implemented ? If not can
> somebody do this ? It would also be usefull to install a .deb file with
> Synaptic via a command, then it would be possible to install a .deb with
> Synaptic by a right click from Nautilus :-) If nobody can, i maybe can
> do some hack but i'm not familliar with c++ and synaptic code.

Well, to get this "right", we need support from apt to do this. Also
it is easy to just call "dpkg -i program.deb" this leads to problems
if the deb needs dependencies that are not already installed.

As apt is responsible to do dependency resolution and synaptic makes
use of apt for this, we need support for local installs in apt. See
for details. Once we have it in apt we'll immediately add it :)

> Thank you for your work, very usefull for beginners to discover Free
> Software :-)

Thanks :)

bye,
 Michael