synaptic-devel

Re: [Synaptic-devel] [Bug #3311] support /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

From: Michael Vogt
Subject: Re: [Synaptic-devel] [Bug #3311] support /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:17:58 +0200

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 09:40:20PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 16:48, Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> > > Synaptic doesn't see anything in the sources.list.d directory since it's
> > > doing all the reading and parsing of sources.list by itself. I have
> > > beginnings of a patch to add support for it, it's easy to make it read the
> > > sources.list.d stuff (basically just copy the relevant code from apt-rpm),
> >
> > Woohoo! :-)
> >
> > > editing them sanely is another issue: without proper support for it in
> > > the
> > > editor the changes will be written to sources.list instead of the
> > > originating sources.list.d entry. I started work on it as well but
> > > didn't quite finish it (C++ is anything but "native tongue"  for me :).
> >
> > That's great.. I was worried about that when I accepted the multiple
> > sources.list patch. I'm glad you're working on it.
> >
> > Please, leave us informed about problems you have, and progress you make.
>
> Well, here's the first sort-of-working version of the patch. Fire at
> will (== suggestions welcome :)

The patch looks nice. I didn't had the time to test it though, because
I'm moving to a new flat and I'm pretty busy right now.

I hope to find some time to test it this evening :)

> It seems to work ok actually, except that since I didn't add entry
> filename entry to the sourcelist editor GUI it now has to hardcode
> /etc/apt/sources.list in there to put user added source-entries
> someplace. I guess the filename has to be added in the GUI...

You could just use the "string SourceRecords::SourceFile" for now
(just a idea, haven't looked very closly).

> P.S. While playing with this I noticed that synaptic adds an extra empty
> line each time it writes the sources.list - that happens on unpatched
> 0.36.1 at least and I think I've seen it with earlier versions as well.

Hm, I noticed this as well. If you find a solution for it, please
submit a patch :)

thanks,
 Michael

--
GPG Fingerprint = EA71 B296 4597 4D8B 343E  821E 9624 83E1 5662 C734
You Know You've Been Playing Too Much Nethack When...