Re: [Swarm-Modelling] conformsTo: with Collections

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: [Swarm-Modelling] conformsTo: with Collections
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:06:20 -0500

glen e. p. ropella wrote:
Gary Polhill wrote:
I get a bus error in Swarm 2.2 (from CVS on 12 June 2006) when asking a
List if it follows the Collections protocol. In Swarm 2.1.1 it complains
that I've sent the request to nil! See attached perl script and
Makefile.

(e.g. test_protocol.pl List Collections; ./conforms -> Bus Error;
test_protocol.pl Array Collections -> "Array var conforms to Collection
protocol")

This is a address@hidden question, by the way.

Marcus recently configured Swarm so that it disallowed messages to nil.

All you need to do is test to see if the receiver is nil and if it is,
don't send it a message.

Gary was referring to the CVS as of June 12, 2006, and so I don't think the message to nil would crash Swarm. Hence, there's a good chance the bus error is caused by sending a message to nil, that does not cause an error/warning, and then something is empty and fails to respond to an instruction. In particular, I expect lispArchiver is not created, and the bus error happens when you tell a nill object to get some data. We had problems with the gcc in FC5 that cause that kind of trouble.

The Swarm-2.1 stops because it did have the "message to nil" warning in place, and I liked it that way. The newest Swarm is that way again.
pj

1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504 University of Kansas Office: (785) 864-9086