[Swarm-Modelling] Crichton's "Prey"

From: Steve Railsback
Subject: [Swarm-Modelling] Crichton's "Prey"
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:32:27 -0700

Someone just gave me Michael Crichton's 2002 book "Prey". (I would bet a lot of money that he wanted to name it "Swarm" but his lawyers told him not to...too bad, could have been a nice fund-raiser for us.)

Am I nuts, or is a central assumption of the book nonsense? He has a swarm of independent, persistent, artificial organisms; and the swarm could learn very rapidly. Our brains can learn rapidly, but the connections are all hardwired; a population of simple organisms can "learn" but only via evolution, which requires birth and death and selection... Is there any way a collection of independent agents, interacting locally with a changing set of neighbors, can "learn" without evolution?

Steve

--
Lang Railsback & Assoc.
250 California Ave.