Re: Citations on interaction among agents

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: Citations on interaction among agents
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 07:31:21 -0500 (EST)

Hi Steve,

Here are a few from the evol of cooperation literature.

At the title suggests, this first is about indirect information;
it also looks at the effect of noisy info:

  Nowak, M. A. & Sigmund, K. Evolution of indirect reciprocity by
  image scoring. Nature 393, 573-577 (1998).

This one has some experiments on how many others does an
agent interact with:

--------------
Evolution of cooperation without reciprocity.
Riolo, R., Cohen, M. D. & Axelrod, R. Nature 414, 441-443 (2001).

These look at the effects of different interaction topologies,
eg, neighbors in a lattice, random (soup),  etc.
These also include a few references to other studies of
the effects of topology on the evolution of cooperation:

The Role of Social Structure in the Maintenance of Cooperative Regimes.
Michael D. Cohen, Rick L. Riolo and Robert Axelrod.
Rationality and Society, 13 (2001), pp. 5-32.

Beyond Geography: Cooperation with persistent links in the absence of
clustered neighborhoods.
Robert Axelrod, Rick L. Riolo and Michael D. Cohen.
Personality and Social Psychology Review, 6, 341-346.

The Emergence of Social Organization in the Prisoners' Dilemma: How
Context-Preservation and other Factors Promote Cooperation.
Michael D. Cohen, Rick L. Riolo and Robert Axelrod.
Santa Fe Institute Working Paper 99-01-002.
------------------

In the basic El Farol Bar Problem, all communication
is through "competition", but I think a few people have
looked at what happens when the agents are allowed to
directly communicate with each other, eg i think this may:

Edmonds, B. (1999). Gossip, Sexual Recombination and the El Farol bar:
modelling the emergence of heterogeneity. Journal of Artificial Societies
and Social Simulation, 2(3),
<http://www.soc.surrey.ac.uk/JASSS/2/3/2.html>.

I'll ask for some refs from my epid. colleagues regarding (a),
since they are very interested in that.

I'd love to hear about any others you find.

- r

--
Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Center for Study of Complex Systems (CSCS)