Possible postdoc position in ABM

From: Andy Cleary
Subject: Possible postdoc position in ABM
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:26:52 -0800

I am soliciting resumes for a position that I hope to have open soon (IOW, it is likely that it will open, but the bureaucratic wheels have not blessed this position as officially open yet) that might be appropriate to readers of this list.

The "Scalable Entity-based Simulation" project in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) at Lawrence Livermore National Labs (LLNL) is a new project (October 2002) with a goal of developing methodology and software for modeling very large systems of "entities", which are loosely "simple agents". Some typical applications might be microbial communities, infectious disease spread in human or animal populations, or immune systems, all of which have millions and perhaps orders of magnitude more agents, though the agents themselves are not very complicated (exactly where we draw these lines is not set in stone by any means; our goal is to serve the lab and DOE as a computational resource, so our focus will evolve to match those needs). We are targeting the variety of parallel supercomputers here at LLNL, including future machines such as ASCI Purple and BlueGene/Light, so parallelism is an important aspect of our project.

The project is small now (4 people approximately halftime) but is expected to grow rapidly. My ideal candidate is a postdoc, though there may be some chance of amending that for the right candidate. In general, I am looking for talent more than a specific skillset, though for this postdoc I want someone with ABM experience, preferably both in modeling and in development of ABM infrastructure, and I definitely want someone who is proficient in developing OO software. Parallel experience is a plus but not a requirement.

Please contact me if you are interested, and feel free to pass this on to colleagues, though note again the disclaimer that this is not yet a formal call for applications (labs can be picky on these points).

Best,
Andy Cleary

Andrew J. Cleary, Software Engineer/Computational Scientist
Lawrence Livermore National Labs, 925-424-5890.