Re: matlab & simulink

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: matlab & simulink
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 10:58:06 -0600

Nick Collier wrote:

> You can use Mathematica however. During a simulation conference here at
> the University of Chicago a few months ago, Richard Gaylord gave a
> tutorial on writing agent based simulations in Mathematica. He's got
> several books out on writing simulations with Mathematica, only one of
> which I've seen:
>
> Simulating Society: A Mathematica Toolkit for Modeling Socioeconomic
> Behavior
>                      by Richard J. Gaylord, Lou D'Andria, Louis J.
> Dandria
>
> Nick

I have a funny story about this.  Gaylord gave a presentation at the
NECSI 1st international complex systems meetings in New Hampshire. He
talked about Mathematica and his book.  Then someone in the audience
raised a hand and said "And you do this with Mathematica?" Gaylord said
"Yes".  The questioner said "But that's really slow" and Gaylord said
"So run it over night." The other guy said something like "Oh, what work
do you do in the morning and afternoon?"

I wrote a program in Mathematica and it took about 30 hours to run.  I
wrote it in C and it took 38 minutes.