memberships

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: memberships
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 07:25:34 -0800

It looks to me like we have somewhere between 200 and
300 participants in the Swarm community.  And yet we only
have 6 members:

Steve Railsback
Pietro Terna
Dan Calhoun
Santa Fe Institute
Joint Warfare Analysis Center
The Swarm Corporation

That means that our subscription rate is 6/250 = 2.4%

Ack!  If the SDG is going to survive past this first
year, it's going to have to have more support from the
community.

At the very least, I would expect some individual memberships
to come in.  Individual student memberships are only $50/year!
And even though that doesn't cover the cost of servicing such
memberships, at the very least if some of you students would
join, that would be a show of support.  Individual corporate,
government, and academic memberships are $500, $500, and $100.
This doesn't seem too outrageous to me.  If it does to you,
then please let one of the SDG officers know.  Of course,
getting your company or institution to sponsor us or join is
the ideal situation, especially if there is more than one
Swarm user in your organization.  But, often, institutional
support is riddled with red-tape or constrained by fiscal
heartbeats.  So, an individual membership should be easier to
put in place.

We can't be a community-driven effort if the community
doesn't drive us.  [grin]  So, join now and help the SDG flesh out
this vehicle for improving Swarm and agent-based modeling
technologies.

Full membership info is available at:
http://www.swarm.org/membership.html

glen

--
glen e. p. ropella =><= Feeding the hamster wheel.  Hail Eris!
Home: http://www.trail.com/~gepr                (505) 424-0448