streamtuner-misc

adding my directory to StreamTuner?

From: Alec Bennett
Subject: adding my directory to StreamTuner?
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 14:55:11 -0800

I love StreamTuner and use it primarily for college and community radio around the globe, but was frustated by the fact that you can't listen to streams from Google Directory directly from StreamTuner.  I got tired of having to click through to all the homepages, so I made my own directory of streams that makes the "now playing" URL easily accessible.

I was wondering how to get it incorporated into StreamTuner?

You can see the beta here (have mercy it's running off my home computer until I get the bugs out):

http://damngoodradio.com

Having DNS issues, so if that doesn't work:

http://69.17.118.14/index.php

You can see what fields are stored for each station by clicking any of the Edit buttons. I'm trying to make it pretty comprehensive, listing for example the studio phone number, webcam if there is one, etc.

As far as interfacing with StreamTuner and other apps, I'd like to expose the database to any application that wants the data, but I've never written an API. From my experience using APIs, I gather I need to just serve an XML page of all the data for a given request. Do I do that as a regular browser request? In other words serve an XML page from Apache, using port 80? Or do I need to be more fancy?

Currently you can interface from outside the page like this, but obviously this doesn't let you specify genre and all that:

http://69.17.118.14/play.php?station=random (plays a random station)

http://69.17.118.14/play.php?station=wfmu (plays WFMU)

I'm keeping the database somewhat small while I'm working on it, but as soon as I stop having to add fields and all that, I'll enter the rest of the Google Directory for college & community radio.