Dummy speechd-el output driver possibly for running speechd-el inside em

From: Peter Vágner
Subject: Dummy speechd-el output driver possibly for running speechd-el inside emacs on android
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 09:57:03 +0100

Hello,

Huh, I'm afraid I am not proficient enough so I would be able to rework
speech-dispatcher handling to work with gthreads instead of pthread.
Newertheless I've taken a look at the GLib threading docs
https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-Threads.html . By some quick
look at the speech-dispatcher code (I've only looked at espeak module so
far as I do know espeak API so it's easier for me to understand what's
espeak and what's speech-dispatcher side of things...) comparing it with
the functions and types documented in these GLib docs I think g_thread* and
g_mutex* calls and types are pretty much in sync with its pthread
counterparts. So changing these should not be very difficult task given the
fact speech-dispatcher already makes some extensive use of GLib functions.
I was able to find this old discussion which supports my understanding of
the matter at
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-app-devel-list/2010-October/msg00072.html
As an addition I've started looking at pthread semaphores. Or more
specifically I need to have these reimplemented in order to be able to
build on Android. and discovered this stack overflow question along with
the accepted answer:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10711258/implement-a-semaphore#18550188
.

Is this a way to go or am I missunderstanding the matter?
Might I be able to try out porting some modules one after the other this
way when working with speech-dispatcher or do I have to look at
speech-dispatcher as a whole when doing this?
As a proof if I might actually be able to do this my-self I'm thinking
reworking espeak module to use GLib threads in place of pthread.
What do you think should I try or might this be better suited for an
experienced developer avoiding risks that I might inadvertently break
something else I may not be aware of at all?

Thanks and greetings

Peter