Speech-dispatcher: do any modules/backends support playing sound-icons ?

From: Sander Eikelenboom
Subject: Speech-dispatcher: do any modules/backends support playing sound-icons ?
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 22:53:45 +0200

Hello Sander,

> [...]

>>> ii  speech-dispatcher-audio-plugins:amd64 0.8-7
>>>   amd64        Speech Dispatcher: Audio output plugins
>>> ii  speech-dispatcher-festival            0.8-7
>>>   amd64        Festival support for Speech Dispatcher
>>> ii  speech-tools                          1:2.1~release-8
>>>   amd64        Edinburgh Speech Tools - user binaries

>>> Double checked and they are in: /usr/share/sounds/sound-icons/ which
>>> corresponds
>>> with the path in speech-dispatchers espeak.conf file.

>>> Is there by your knowledge an option on package build-time that could be
>>> involved (and is perhaps not enabled) ?

>>> I will try to switch on some more debugging again, see if it comes up with
>>> something (can't remember it did last time i tried).

>>> Thanks for your time !

>>> --
>>> Sander

>> Here is my simple python test script:
>> #!/usr/bin/env python3

>> import speechd

>> ssipclient = speechd.SSIPClient('sound-icon-test',
>> socket_path='/run/user/1000/speech-dispatcher/speechd.sock')
>> ssipclient.sound_icon('start')
>> ssipclient.sound_icon('trumpet-12')
>> ssipclient.sound_icon('trumpet-12.wav')
>> ssipclient.close()

>> But instead of playing the sound of the sound-icon, it reads the name.

>> I have set debug to 5 and attached the speech-dispatcher logs from running
>> this
>> script. With my untrained eye i don't see anything obvious though.

>> --
>> Sander

> Ok i finally determined what the problem is:

> espeak relies on speech-dispatcher to return 0 for the uri_callback if it has
> play the sound, if it gets 1 back, it will speak the name of the sound-icon
> instead.

> But in speech-dispatcher src/modules/espeak.c:uri_callback() the return that
> returns 0 is ifdeffed:

>         static int uri_callback(int type, const char *uri, const char *base)
>         {
>                 int result = 1;
>                 if (type == 1) {
>                         /* Audio icon */
>         #if HAVE_SNDFILE
>                         if (g_file_test(uri, G_FILE_TEST_EXISTS)) {
>                                 result = 0;
>                         }
>         #endif
>                 }
>                 return result;
>         }

> And Debians speech-dispatchers isn't compiled with libsndfiledev1, so it
> always
> returns 1.

> But since the code in the ifdef has no relation with libsndfiledev, is it
> even
> needed in the first place ?

> Both solutions make sound-icons work for me on Debian Jessie:
>         - recompiling with libsndfiledev installed
>         or
>         - removing the ifdef from uri_callback

> But removing the ifdef as it seems pointless is looking like the best

Hmm that seems to be incorrect, probably tested with a stale tree or something.
When returning 0, it seems to be speech-dispatches that is going to play the
sound instead of espeak, using the code in
src/modules/module_utils.c:module_play_file()

So the only solution seems to be for Debian to compile with libsndfiledev as
build dependency.

--
Sander