Speech-dispatcher: do any modules/backends support playing sound-icons ?

From: Sander Eikelenboom
Subject: Speech-dispatcher: do any modules/backends support playing sound-icons ?
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 20:36:46 +0200

Hi All,

I'm trying out speech-dispatcher and the python module for a project.
Speech works great, but i'm struggling to to get the "sound-icons" to work.
The documentation is rather sparse :-(

from /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules/espeak.conf it seems that espeak doesn't
support sound-icons, which is a but cryptic since after that it shows
configuration options for sound-icons ?:
   # -- SOUND ICONS --
   # Espeak  does not currently support playing sound icons
   # (audio files that are played by name when an application requests
   # a sound icon).  If you have installed the free(b)soft sound-icons
   # package, this is the directory where will they be found.  If not
   # blank, the espeak Output Module will play them if it finds a
   # file whose name matches the sound icon name.  If blank, or no
   # matching file is found, the name of the sound icon will be spoken.

   EspeakSoundIconFolder "/usr/share/sounds/sound-icons/"

   # Volume at which sound icons are played.
   EspeakSoundIconVolume 0

I also tried festival, but still to no avail ..

So the first question is .. are there any modules/backends that do support
playing sound-icons ?

Hope you can give me a pointer in the right direction !

--
Sander