What the best alternative with Speech-dispatcher Pulseaudio audio output

From: Kyle
Subject: What the best alternative with Speech-dispatcher Pulseaudio audio output module?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:28:56 -0500

It appears to be a strange interaction between speech-dispatcher,
Pulseaudio and Espeak, especially on onboard sound chips. The only
devices I have that aren't having this problem in speech-dispatcher are
my Soundblaster Live Value PCI card and my Soundblaster Mp3 USB card,
but the PCI card makes Espeak running through the Pulseaudio ALSA plugin
sound very badly distorted and quiet. It almost sounds like a bug in
Espeak, or possibly the Portaudio library, as very few if any other
applications sound this way. I'm not even having the problem with other
speech synthesizers. Pico and MARY TTS sound normal on all machines.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"