What the best alternative with Speech-dispatcher Pulseaudio audio output

From: Hammer Attila
Subject: What the best alternative with Speech-dispatcher Pulseaudio audio output module?
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:21:09 +0100

Hi,

I using testing purpose with Ubuntu 14.04 development release,
Speech-dispatcher 0.8-5ubuntu1 packaged version.
I using Espeak output module and Pulseaudio audio output.

Some time the Espeak module producing very fast, distorted speech output
when Orca want spokening any text. If I this situation run killall
speech-dispatcher command and press a key, the problem is resolved
(temporary). This issue I experienced with more sound cards
unfortunately, the problem I think independent the Speech-dispatcher
version (I experienced this type issue with Ubuntu 13.10 with
Speech-dispatcher 0.7 too). Very difficult to reproduce this issue, some
time happening the problem, some time not.

What the best alternative audio output module with producing equals
performance the Pulseaudio output module?
I looked libao audio output module, before configured Speech-dispatcher
with libao support, I need recompile Speech-dispatcher from git branch
and need setup libao with Pulseaudio support.
I added following the /etc/libao.conf:
default_driver=pulse
quiet

When I used Libao audio output module, this issue I newer experienced
with one month active day by day usage. Have one disadvantage with libao
support (possible only my machine):
Unfortunately I experienced longer delay when I faster typing, this
issue I not experienced with Pulseaudio audio output module. Possible I
only not known how can possible decreasing this delay when the active
audio output module is Libao.
If I try setting Alsa with libao driver in the /etc/libao.conf,
Speech-dispatcher is silent.
If I try using Alsa audio output module, Speech-dispatcher is silent.

Ubuntu level now I think disabled with libao support, changelog says
following:
"speech-dispatcher (0.8-5ubuntu1) trusty; urgency=low

   * Merge with debian unstable.  Remaining changes:
     - Moved the flite output module to a separate package, and added
       it to suggests, we don't want flite on the Ubuntu CD image
     - Don't build depend on libaudio-dev or libao-dev, Ubuntu CD size
is an issue, every little bit helps"

Pulseaudio version in Ubuntu 14.04:
1:4.0-0ubuntu7

I reported this issue with Launchpad.net, report link is following:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1267803

Attila