Paplay or Aplay Confusion

From: Chris Brannon
Subject: Paplay or Aplay Confusion
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 05:48:04 -0500

Steve Holmes wrote:
> with the default AudioOutputMethod options, it tries to launch the wrong
> player if the system doesn't have pulse installed.

Hi Steve,
Sorry for not replying sooner; I meant to do so.
The generic module doesn't support fallback.  It always uses the first
audio output method in the list.  So that's why it wants to use paplay
when AudioOutputMethod is pulse, alsa, and pulse is unavailable.

This was fixed in OpenTTS.  The generic module called spd_audio_open
to get a handle for the audio device.  Next, it called a function to get the
play command associated with the output method.
This solution supported fallback.
I'd like to bring it over to Speech Dispatcher, along with a bunch of other
cleanup code.

-- Chris