config file soup was Re: Considering ConsoleKit and GSettings/DConf

From: Trevor Saunders
Subject: config file soup was Re: Considering ConsoleKit and GSettings/DConf
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:06:35 -0400

hi,

 chris, personally  my issue isn't with shell editing specifically
although I suspect that won't be fun (ever play with gconf?).  My real issue is
that i don't believe non text based configuration is ok, even if it does have a
good text based ui, although.  I don't see any reason anybody should have to
provide such a interface, we already have plenty, $EDITOR etc (the plan9 use
files for everything idea).  Also, I'm not
convinced of the flexibility / ability to work with out of tree modules.

 As for the client settings overiding system settings what I was planning to do
in opentts after I had managed to replace a select loop with a thread per client
modle was to then have the thread read in the user name that was sent's
configuration in on top of the system one read on initialization so the idea
would look something like this.

daemon starts reads /etc/speech-dispatcher
client connects sends user name "foo"  $HOme for user foo is gotten if possible
and .speech-dispatcher is read to set the settings local to that thread
overriding the global settings.
Trev