Considering ConsoleKit and GSettings/DConf

From: Halim Sahin
Subject: Considering ConsoleKit and GSettings/DConf
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:17:43 +0200

Hi Nolan,

On Mi, Aug 11, 2010 at 10:57:11 -0500, Nolan Darilek wrote:

> On 08/11/2010 10:14 AM, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> > We also consume CPU unnecessarily. Speech Dispatcher will
> > synthesize any incoming text regardless of whether the
> > current session is active or not. That synthesis produces sound
> > which will never be heard.
> >

> How will this work in situations where I might have an X session active
> running an IM client, but be on a text console doing something else? In
> actuality I couldn't see the notifications on incoming messages, etc.
> but I kind of like that I can still receive them even if I technically
> can't see the screen.

You are requesting multiuser capabilities which are not popular these
days.
You have to reconfigure spechd as a system service for achiving the
mentioned usecase or use graphical im clients.

Sorry Folks, I have really a11y related concerns.
Currently we didn't get any improovment by using the new *kits* like
consolekit.
Same for pulseaudio.
These tools break a11y in many situations and don't improove anything
for us.

BR.
Halim