[Opentts-dev] Speech-dispatcher, OpenTTS, and the outcome of my discussi

From: Trevor Saunders
Subject: [Opentts-dev] Speech-dispatcher, OpenTTS, and the outcome of my discussion with Brailcom staff.
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 07:58:24 -0400

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:03:51AM +0200, Tomas Cerha wrote:
> Dne 29.7.2010 06:14, Trevor Saunders napsal(a):
> > While I'm not quiet sure what you mean "regular contributor" I'm not
> > sure I like having to fill out a form to contribute.  I don't see how
> > it helps anyone to make people fill out a form before they send
> > patches.
>
> You will simply create an account, which will give you access to the bug
> tracker, the wiki and maybe some other things in the future.  While
> registering, you will just indicate whether you agree with the
> contributors agreement.  We considered whether it is not too much
> bureaucracy, but we believe it is not and it is important enough.

ok, I'm fine with creating accounts for bug trackers etc, and in this
case I don't think I have a problem with the agreement, but the principal
of the thing still gets me a little, why is it neccesary to agree
with any document to send people code?

> > ok, sounds good, I noticed that some of the commit messages in the
> > speechd tree didn't follow the standard format for git commit
> > messages, sometimes weren't very descriptive, and had some rather
> > obvious spelling errors.  I understand that english may not be your
> > native language, it is mine, but I'm a terrible speller anyway :-),
> > but would you guys mind being a little better about this? it should
> > help everyone I would think, if nothing else it means git shortlog
> > gives you something useful.
>
> That will definitely be one of the rules applied quite strictly to
> anyone (Brailcom staff and externals equally).

 It would be very nice if that changed from what I saw in your tree.  :)

> > Ok, I'm not sure what the idea or reason for a special accessible web
> > developement platform is but anyway this sounds good.
>
> Well, if you say "special accessible", it sounds suspicious, but you
> should not notice anything special, apart that it simply is accessible.

ok, web dev isn't my interest anyway.

> > What are the chances bugs could be minipulated with email?  This is a useful
> > feature of a few bug trackers I know of.
>
> We used to have that, but no one used it, so we didn't implement that in
> the current system.  If you wish to contribute that (the system is open
> source, of course), that might be interesting.

ok, I might look at it.

> > ok, I hope users do benefit my main concern is this.  Supose Braille
> > Comm doesn't have money  to work on speech dispatcher etc,
>
> Could, please, people try to spell Brailcom as we do? ;-)

sure, sorry, I was just using the last spelling I saw.

> > will mechanisms be put in place to allow the comunity to move forward with
> > developement while Braille Comm waits for funding, or will the
> > community be stuck with the current status until Braille Comm gets
> > more money like happened previously?
>
> We tried to address it in the rules.  They explicitly say that external
> devs may become patch reviewers and that the maintainer may be
> substituted when, for any reason, not able to do the necessary work.

ok, good, I don't remember the document being that clear on the point,
but its been a while.

> > 1. Personally I tend to prefer kr / kernel style to gnu,but whatever,
> > however I think autoformating with Lindent or something similar is a
> > good policy.
>
> We plan to make a major formatting cleanup sometimes at the beginning of
> the 0.8 release cycle.  The style rules may be fine tuned until that time.

ok, sounds like a good idea.

> > 2. unless someone has an objection, I can't imagine why they would
> > though, I think setting up a irc channel to discuss developement work,
> > and help work out issues with users is very useful.  What I mean is
> > that while email is good, sometimes something more real time is
> > better.
>
> IRC is quite a matter of personal preference.  I personally prefer async
> communication, but setting up a channel is not a problem as long as you
> don't want me to be there.  <smile>

Not a problem with me, there is plenty of stuff which works well
enough or better async, but there are also plenty of things which I'd prefer not
to have to wait a while for a response, I'm thinking of disgussing
solutions to problems  like bugs or getting users setups to work.

> > 3. it would be nice if there was a little bit more discussion on the
> > speechd list about what developement was happening, and what was about
> > to get committed, however this is everyones responsibility.
>
> That is definitely one of the things we want to improve from our side.

ok, good.

Trev