speech-dispatcher 0.6.7 on ubuntu intrepid

From: Guy Schlosser
Subject: speech-dispatcher 0.6.7 on ubuntu intrepid
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 11:14:35 -0400

Hi all, I have a question concerning speech-dispatcher on Ubuntu
Intrepid.  I built it from source, by first doing apt-get build-dep
speech-dispatcher.  During my .configure process, I got an error that
said libdumbtts not found.  While it still built and compiled
successfully, does anyone know where I can get that library?  Secondly,
I am still having a lot of drop-outs, where I have to kill speechd and
reload it for Orca to continue speaking.  In speechd.log, the error
always is that there is a broken pipe to module and that it crashed.
This happens whether I use ttsynth or espeak.  I am using the latest
kernel (2.6.27-7), and the latest pulseaudio 0.9.10 packages as of last
night's update.  Is there a known work-around or fix?  Any ideas or

Thanks much in advance,

Guy