social-mediagoblin

[Social-mediagoblin] description / comments markup type

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: [Social-mediagoblin] description / comments markup type
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 10:00:34 -0500

So we're going to have to allow some sort of way to allow users to
provide a little bit of rich text formatting in descriptions of media
entries and in comments.

We have a couple of options:
 - use something like markdown to allow for rich text formatting.  There
   are a lot of these markup systems... if we were to just pick one, I
   think I'd most likely want to choose markdown, maybe just because
   that's what Reddit does ;)
 - use lxml.html.clean, allow users to simply write html, and whitelist
   certain elements:
   http://lxml.de/lxmlhtml.html#cleaning-up-html

We're going to have to run things throuh lxml.html.clean once we add
federation anyway to prevent XSS attacks.  Anyway, curious of what
people would prefer.

--
http://dustycloud.org/