social-mediagoblin

Re: [Social-mediagoblin] calling all people with uber license-fu--we nee

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [Social-mediagoblin] calling all people with uber license-fu--we need you!
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:22:17 -0500

will kahn-greene <address@hidden> writes:

> We're working out the COPYING file and while we think we have the
> language right, it'd help to have multiple people with level 10
> license-fu look it over so we're not doing something epically stupid
> that allows someone to go and sell GNU MediaGoblin for a MEEEELION
> BARS OF CHOCOLATE or something crazy like that.

<paroneayea> ohnoes!  I gave up the ability to do that by assigning my
             copyright to the FSF
<paroneayea> think of all the chocolate I could have had through proprietary
             relicensing!

... true story.

> The current text is at:
>
>    http://openetherpad.org/copying-copying-copying

One issue that Will brought up was... oh, I'll just copy-paste here
again.

<willkg> paroneayea: oh.  what about the GNU MediaGoblin logo or other
         branding assets?  are we going to have any in the tarball that gets
         released?
<paroneayea> yeah those will be CC0 also, I think?
<paroneayea> I really am not too terribly attached to the GNU MediaGoblin
             logo.  I think it's fine for it to be CC0.
<willkg> so, branding assets as CC0 seems funky since then anyone can use it
         for anything and because it's branding, it's something we want
         specifically associated with us.
<willkg> so that's why i asked.
<paroneayea> hm.
<willkg> we don't really have any branding assets, yet.
<paroneayea> Okay, I'll bring it up on list.
<willkg> good idea, my liege!

... Thoughts on this?  Our CC0 paragraph currently looks like:

  HTML templates, CSS, images, and video
  ======================================

  To the extent possible under law, GNU MediaGoblin's authors have waived
  all copyright and related or neighboring rights to GNU MediaGoblin's
  HTML templates and non-software content (CSS, images, and video).

  You should have received a copy of the CC0 legalcode along with this
  work under the filename <CC0_1.0.txt>.  If not, see
  <http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/>.

We could rework it to:

  HTML templates, CSS, images, and video
  ======================================

  To the extent possible under law, GNU MediaGoblin's authors have waived
  all copyright and related or neighboring rights to GNU MediaGoblin's
  HTML templates and non-software content (CSS, images, and video), with
  an exception made for MediaGoblin's branding logo, which is released
  as Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (see below).

  You should have received a copy of the CC0 legalcode along with this
  work under the filename <CC0_1.0.txt>.  If not, see
  <http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/>.

And then have a paragraph like:

  MediaGoblin Logo
  ================

  MediaGoblin Logo (c) by the Free Software Foundation, Inc

  The MediaGoblin Logo
  (identifiable by the files in mediagoblin/branding/)
  is licensed under a
  Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

  You should have received a copy of the license along with this
  work.  If not, see <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/>.

If this is too messy I'd rather the logo be CC0 than create a licensing
mess.

> Your help in the next 24 hours is greatly appreciated.

Indeed, though if Brett Smith can't confirm whether or not we are crazy
by Monday, I'd rather wait for his wisdom here.

--
The bottom line.