smc-devel

Re: [smc-devel] semi off-topic: malayalam fonts

From: Mahesh T. Pai
Subject: Re: [smc-devel] semi off-topic: malayalam fonts
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 18:43:29 +0530

Arun Thomas wrote:

I am trying to get the ML-TTKarthika font to work. I am trying to
switch my dad over to linux.

Great.  Activism, like charity, begins at home.

When I open up deepika, 70% of the page is in Malayalam, but the
rest of it has these rectangular characters that look like this:

Several pages on www.deepika.com have English content.  It is not
clear whether the garbled text represents English content. Please verify; or give us a specific URL.

Now, a snippet from their headers:-

                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
<!-- Bitstream WebFont Player starts here-->
<defanged-meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html;charset=x-user-defined">
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is likely that the problem lies here, and there is nothing wrong with your system.

If this is the problem, please verify what you find in

edit > preferences > appearance > fonts in any Mozilla window.

Remember that if the fonts specified by the web page do not exist on your system, Mozilla renders the page using fonts specified by you in these settings.

This is how deepika specifies fonts for English content:-

color="#FFE94F">

It is likely that you have specified some odd font for 'san serif'
family under the tab, "user definied" encoding. If this is your problem, please make appropriate changes to the mozilla encoding.

After I get this to work, I plan on putting linux on my dad's
box.

I think you meant GNU/Linux??

Regards,

Mahesh T. Pai.