smc-devel

[smc-devel] semi off-topic: malayalam fonts

From: Arun Thomas
Subject: [smc-devel] semi off-topic: malayalam fonts
Date: 06 Jan 2003 19:12:49 -0500

This is sort of off-topic. I am trying to get the ML-TTKarthika font to
work. I am trying to switch my dad over to linux. He reads deepika which
uses this font. Dynamic fonts don't work in mozilla, so I downloaded
this font and put it in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/. When I open up
deepika, 70% of the page is in Malayalam, but the rest of it has these
rectangular characters that look like this:

-----
|F 7|
|A 1|
-----

Anybody know why this is happening? I'm sorry for this off-topic
message. I couldn't find anything on the web regarding this problem, and
I figured you all would be the few people who would know. After I get
this to work, I plan on putting linux on my dad's box. Then, I plan
installing your code on that box. I can't read Malayalam unfortunately.
Otherwise, I'd try it myself.

Thanks much,
Arun