smc-devel

Re: [smc-devel] GUI translation

From: Baiju M
Subject: Re: [smc-devel] GUI translation
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 07:48:47 +0400 (SCT)

Translation of GNOME glossary and some application in GNOME 2
will be available at http://www.keralaindustry.org/malayalam

All our translation can be based on GNOME glossary, so there will be a
uniformity in translation. GNOME glossary contains about 900+ technical
terms.

Manoj, first you can choose your favourite application to start with.

Let use see how to translate Gnumeric.
The strings to be translated will be available at :
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.0-fifth-toe/po/gnumeric.HEAD.pot

Open this file in GEdit (there is a tool GTranslator
http://www.gtranslator.org, I didn't tried it yet, There is a KDE
application, KBakel this will be very usefull (rendering won't work) )

Here is a sample portion from PO file :

#: plugins/dif/dif.c:325
msgid "Error while saving DIF file."
msgstr "IVIDE MALAYALA VAKKUKAL"

#: plugins/dif/plugin.xml.in.h:1
msgid "Data Interchange Format (*.dif)"
msgstr "IVIDE MALAYALA VAKKUKAL"

#: plugins/dif/plugin.xml.in.h:2
msgid "Data Interchange Format (DIF) module"
msgstr "IVIDE MALAYALA VAKKUKAL"

Here the string starting with 'msgid' is the english words.
We can type its Malayalam translation in 'msgstr'.

After completing this you can send this file to me.
I CC'ed this mail to Prashanth (he is registered as the co-ordinator of
Malayalam GNOME translation). So you send copies to him also.
(I may not be able to help this project next month onwards)

Karunakar, can you put Malayalam translation works in GNOME CVS.
Once I talked with Naba Kumar (Anjutha developer) at #gnome-india
(irc.gnome.org). He said he will be able to help with GNOME CVS
commits.

If anyone can co-ordinate all these translation works it will
be very good thing.

More details about GNOME i18n & l10n are available at
http://www.gnome.org/i18n

Se,, to start with Malayalam translations you will be required GNOME 2
and MalOtf.ttf font and a patched pango available at :
http://baijum81.tripod.com/smc

To install the font, you can siply copy the font to
$HOME/.fonts  and enter bash$ fc-cache (While next time booting, you need
not to enter the command again)

The keboard map file is available here (This will be available with
next Xfree86 release)
http://baijum81.tripod.com/smc/ml

Copy this to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/
and enter :

setxkbmap -symbols "en_US(pc105)+ml(basic)+group(shift_toggle)" -compat
"group_led"

Now you can press both shift keys to toggle between Malayalam and English
keyboard layouts.

More details are available at :
http://www.nongnu.org/smc/docs/input-methods.html
(The font installation is as described above)

Regards,
Baiju M