smc-devel

Re: [smc-devel] GUI translation

From: Baiju M
Subject: Re: [smc-devel] GUI translation
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 06:50:35 +0400 (SCT)

> I am not very particular about gnome -
> I prefer KDE - but I would like to help anyways.

Good to hear that you prefer KDE (me too most of time :) )
There is a wonderful utility in KDE, KBakel for translating applications.
Unfortunately Qt/KDE doesn't suport Indic OpenType Layout now.
I think karunakar is doing some works for this, Karunakar, can
you tell us the deatails of Indic OpenType layout support in Qt/KDE ?
Jayan, if you are interested you can contact trolltech and help them to
support Indian laguages in Qt. I don't know whether LGPL'ed codes
of pango can be used in Qt, if it not possible, it will be required
to start from grass root level. But Indic layout part is done by
Eric Mader, so he will be able to help changing license, so you can
contact him too.If we haviing Indic OpenType layout support in KDE
it will be a very good thing.

> This project will be doing a lot of good
> to a lot of people in our little homeland..
> Could you send me information on how I can help?

As I said above, you will be able to help internationalization of Qt/KDE.
After that we can start localization of KDE.

(Will explain localization of GNOME 2 in another mail)

Regards,
Baiju M