smc-devel

Re: [smc-devel] Malayalam Font doubts.

From: Baiju M
Subject: Re: [smc-devel] Malayalam Font doubts.
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 16:16:45 +0400 (SCT)

>  bm> Ministry of IT (govt. of India) has suggested a list of glyphs
> required for bm> Malayalam font (http://tdil.mit.gov.in) No problem if
> we are adding more bm> glyps.
>
> But their list is very much inadequate for proper rendering of malayalam
> text. We should definitely add more glyphs in the private area.

CDAC's Malayalam fonts used for DTP purpose has about 178 glyphs, TDIL's list
is only about 128. In fact if we are completly following new-lipi
standared even 128 glyphs are not necessary, but in DTP now we are using a
mixture of old and new lipis. Since we are using unicode the number of
glyphs will
never effect computing, if we have a font with 900+ glyphs display,print
out etc. will change according to that, anyway we cannot force the user to
use a particular number of glyphs.
I prefer a font with about 150+ glyphs :)

Regards,
Baiju M