smc-devel

[smc-devel] Malayalam Font doubts.

From: Ramakrishnan M
Subject: [smc-devel] Malayalam Font doubts.
Date: 29 Oct 2002 08:26:54 -0500

I am trying to know what tools are available (free, of course) for the
development
of TrueType/Open Type fonts? How are you guys (whoever is working on fonts)
adding
new glyphs to existing fonts?

Also a silly doubt. AFAIK, TTF uses a 16 bit glyph id. So if we add enough
glyphs
for complex characters and combined characters and provide a mapping table in
the
form of a library along with the font, will that be better than OpenType?

I found it a bit difficult to use VOLT(which requires MS Win32) or any other
tools
to hack on OTF. Instead a text based tool which can be edited using a normal
editor
will be the most wonderful thing to have.

I understand that there is no standardisation on the glyphs to be added and
their
positions and other details.

Any ideas?
--