sdx-users

Re: [sdx-users] [newbie] Programmatic use of SDX...

From: Pierrick Brihaye
Subject: Re: [sdx-users] [newbie] Programmatic use of SDX...
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:41:05 +0200

Hi,

Remi Vankeisbelck a écrit :

Notice that the link describes a deprecated architecture, SDX' one though... Current design is described there : http://avalon.apache.org/framework/api/org/apache/avalon/framework/service/ServiceManager.html

Looks even simpler :-)
But I'll have to read more to understand why it now handles "Objects" instead of "Component"s...

I have to read and understand as well :-) It's been a pain for me to understand COP design and those Avalon guys changed everything in the meantime, huh !

Could you please use this occasion to provide a "standalone" implementation ?
lol :-)

Definitely, since this is a recurrent need to SDX users. Yours will be good starting point, for sure :-))

My only "problem" is that implementations of Avalon interfaces are provided by cocoon... Looks like it's not gonna be so easy to get rid of it !

:-)

More than you could think :
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=DevelopingComponents

Moreover, even context-things are strongly relying on the Web App context,

Not so suprising IMHO : it is an Apache project :-)

Anyway, in my simple "do a search using methods" example, I guess I don't even need to put my hands there...

Just a little ; all you have to do is to :

1) build a query :
http://www.nongnu.org/sdx/docs/html/doc-sdx2/apidocs/fr/gouv/culture/sdx/search/lucene/query/AbstractQuery.html#AbstractQuery()
2) set it up
http://www.nongnu.org/sdx/docs/html/doc-sdx2/apidocs/fr/gouv/culture/sdx/search/lucene/query/AbstractQuery.html#setUp(fr.gouv.culture.sdx.search.lucene.query.SearchLocations,%20org.apache.lucene.search.Query)
3) execute it :
http://www.nongnu.org/sdx/docs/html/doc-sdx2/apidocs/fr/gouv/culture/sdx/search/lucene/query/AbstractQuery.html#AbstractQuery()
4) do what you want with the results :
http://www.nongnu.org/sdx/docs/html/doc-sdx2/apidocs/fr/gouv/culture/sdx/search/lucene/query/Results.html
5) ... especially with the documents' IDs :
http://www.nongnu.org/sdx/docs/html/doc-sdx2/apidocs/fr/gouv/culture/sdx/search/lucene/query/Results.html
6) and it you want a document, just ask it to the DocumentBase :
http://www.nongnu.org/sdx/docs/html/doc-sdx2/apidocs/fr/gouv/culture/sdx/documentbase/DocumentBase.html#getDocument(fr.gouv.culture.sdx.document.Document)

Actually, I think my only "problem" now would be to provide a ServletContext to a "standalone" app :-)

No. The needed context is a org.apache.avalon.framework.context.DefaultContext (http://avalon.apache.org/framework/api/org/apache/avalon/framework/context/Context.html), not a javax.servlet.ServletContext. It would be up to your "root class" to provide this context.

Actually, I wouldn't have no problems with cocoon if XSLT was not an HTTP only thing :-)

:-)

Well, it's been a real pleasure to have this talk ! You really explained everything very well, that's far beyond most of the support I could find even for commercial products ! I think I can now investigate the rest of SDX by myself and stop bothering you with my philosophical considerations :-)

They were welcome. A "standalone" SDX would be a great step forward, at least for one reason : provide a real test suite :-)

Cheers,

--
Pierrick Brihaye, informaticien
Service régional de l'Inventaire