Re: Mutt status lines under GNU/screen

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Mutt status lines under GNU/screen
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 18:59:50 -0500

I have been able to work around this issue by doing the following:

1. Installing the latest version of ELinks from the git repos.

2. Setting term to screen-256color-bce in my ./screenrc

3. Invoking mutt with TERM=screen-256color

This took care of the tearing of the screen.

The spurious characters in ELinks, have mostly disappeared as long as I
stay away from Chinese, Korean, etc. But since the problem occurs in the
exactly same manner when running ELinks directly on top of xterm, it
does not look like screen has anything to do with it.

The only issue that I haven't been able to work around is what I earlier
called 'flickering' -- basically, when I am in ELinks with a light blue
background and I either refresh the current page of load a different
one, for a split second or two I can see a few horizontal black lines
the height/width of a terminal cell appear and immediately disappear.

This happens regardless of whether I have split the sreen vertically.
But since it does not happen outside of screen when running directly on
top of xterm, it does look like this was brought about by the recent
changes to screen.

Somewhat annoying when googling for extended periods of time but I can
live with it.

CJ