Re: Mutt status lines under GNU/screen

From: Chris Jones
Subject: Re: Mutt status lines under GNU/screen
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 18:19:35 -0500

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 06:54:42AM EST, Christian Ebert wrote:
> * Chris Jones on Sunday, December 27, 2009 at 04:16:45 -0500
> > On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 01:19:46PM EST, Christian Ebert wrote:

> >> Try screen-256color (without -bce), with -bce I can observe the
> >> same symptoms.
> >
> > Looks like this works, though I also had to comment out the "bce on"
> > statement in my .screenrc - otherwise screen initiatializes $TERM to
> > screen-256color-bce.
> >
> > Do you happen to know why (how) this works?
>
> No. Just experimenting. AFAIR mutt has the same problem with
> screen-16color-bce.

Seems to work OK with mutt, but has some side-effects with ELinks, with
some tearing of the display, where the black background of my underlying
XTerm shows through on the right handside of the display, and the
occasional glyphs that stick around from earlier displays until I issue
a Ctrl-L.

In reverse video, the tearing looks something like:

   ┌──────────────────────────────┐
   │                             ▀│(²)
   │                           ▀▀▀│(²)
   │                            ▀▀│(²)
   │                             ▀│(²)
   │            (¹)            ▀▀▀│(²)
   │                             ▀│(²)
   │                           ▀▀▀│(²)
   │                            ▀▀│(²)

(¹) white background
(²) black 'tearing' marks

I also noticed some flickering, as if my block cursor was taking a quick
trip across the empty portions of the display once in a while.

I guess I can live with it for the time being.

Thanks,

CJ