extra whitespace with screen + mutt + x11 copy

From: Mark Fardal
Subject: extra whitespace with screen + mutt + x11 copy
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:56:18 -0500

Hi,

One of the things I use screen for is to keep myself logged into the
mutt email program, so I don't have to log in to the mail server every
time I switch computers.  I like to copy and paste text from the
emails into emacs buffers using X11.  Unfortunately I tend to get a
lot of extra white space at the end of lines when doing so.  I.e. it
looks like this: (I added | at the end of lines to make the end of
lines easy to see)

  At intermediate redshifts, many galaxies seem to be perturbed or suffering   |
from an interaction. Considering that disk galaxies may have formed and evolved|
through minor mergers or through major mergers, it is important to understand

the mechanisms at play during each type of merger in order to be able to

establish the outcome of such an event. In some cases, only the use of both

morphological and kinematical information can disentangle the actual

configuration of an encounter at intermediate redshift.

when it should look like this:

  At intermediate redshifts, many galaxies seem to be perturbed or suffering|
from an interaction. Considering that disk galaxies may have formed and evolved|
through minor mergers or through major mergers, it is important to understand|
the mechanisms at play during each type of merger in order to be able to|
establish the outcome of such an event. In some cases, only the use of both|
morphological and kinematical information can disentangle the actual|
configuration of an encounter at intermediate redshift.|

This results in a lot of ugly line-wrapping in text editors when I paste.
The extra whitespace doesn't always occur but I haven't figured out what
provokes it.

This doesn't seem to occur:
 - when copying from an emacs buffer within screen (emacs -nw)
 - when copying from mutt inside a normal terminal, not inside screen

I know little to nothing about screen, so I'm not sure if this is a
hard or easy problem to solve.

thanks,
Mark