Re: fFtT implementation

From: Michael Schroeder
Subject: Re: fFtT implementation
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:11:23 +0100

Btw, here's the current status:

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 04:38:36PM +0100, Michael Schroeder wrote:
> Planned features for the next release:
>
> - sending the tty file descriptor from the frontend to the
>   backend over the unix domain socket, so you won't get error
>   messages after an 'su' to a different user.

Done.

> - creating a little suid-root multiuser helper, so that multiuser
>   mode doesn't need the big screen binary to be suid-root.

Not started. My current idea is to throw out all of the seteuid(),
UserContext(), etc code. Does anybody run a suid-root screen out
there?
To make everything work again, the suid-root helper needs the
following functionality:

1) attach to multiuser screen
2) remove/set utmp entries (not needed on systems with utempter)
3) chown ptys (not needed on systems with unix98 ptys)

> - a couple of minor improvements, like the input buffer problem.
> - maybe vertical split, if I still have some time left.

And I forgot one major point:

- change the code so screen *never* blocks on a dead display.

This is not that hard, the biggest part is a reimplementation
of the Msg() mechanism.

Cheers,
  Michael.

--