backtick & hardstatus

From: Thomas Baruchel
Subject: backtick & hardstatus
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:51:23 +0200

>     $ cat ~/.screenrc
>     backtick 1 60 1 /$HOME/bin/screen-checkmail
>     hardstatus alwayslastline ...%1`...

OK. I did it, I wrote a piece of C code sleeping 15 minutes, then
launching "fetchmail -c" and parsing the output in order to have
its own output (I mean my piece of code can write in its own customized
format a short line of output). Then I used
  backtick 1 0 0 checkmail
  hardstatus alwaysmessage %1`
I set backtick to 1 0 0 rathen than 1 60 1 as explained in another answer
I got.
Since I like rather the "message" format than the "lastline" (which makes
less place for applications). It works, but...

the behaviour of the message is poor : when my process writes something,
I have a message whatever I am doing (wich is what I want), but it seems
I have also the message (probable the "last message" when I switch from
a windows to another, when I open a new window, etc.). What I would like
is my message appearing 5 or 10 sec. then disappearing (I have that now)
but no message at all when I open a new window, switch from one to another,
etc. Now, once a message has appeared for the first time, I have it repeated
absolutely in every circumstances (except if I do nothing related to 'screen').

--
Thomas Baruchel