[monitoring-like] would like to be warned when I have mail (fetchmail -c

From: Thomas Baruchel
Subject: [monitoring-like] would like to be warned when I have mail (fetchmail -c)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:06:49 +0200

Hi,

I have an IMAP mailbox, but I use "fetchmail -c" in order to know if I have
new mail or not (below is the description for this option). I would like
this command to be run periodically (OK, that can be done through a
background process) and tell screen when I have new mail in order to
be warned (message in the status line would be great). But I couldn't
see in 'man screen' anything like that tough a reference to
> o  A weird imagination is most useful to gain full advantage of all the
>    features.
which let me think someone may be able to help me...

> -c | --check
>        Return  a status code to indicate whether there is mail waiting,
>        without actually fetching  or  deleting  mail  (see  EXIT  CODES
>        below).  This option turns off daemon mode (in which it would be
>        useless).  It doesn't play well with queries to multiple  sites,
>        and doesn't work with ETRN or ODMR.  It will return a false pos-
>        itive if you leave read but undeleted mail in your server  mail-
>        box  and  your  fetch protocol can't tell kept messages from new
>        ones.  This means it will work with IMAP, not  work  with  POP2,
>        and may occasionally flake out under POP3.

Regards,

--
Thomas Baruchel