Re: [monitoring-like] would like to be warned when I have mail (fetchmai

From: Will Maier
Subject: Re: [monitoring-like] would like to be warned when I have mail (fetchmail -c)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:01:43 -0500

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 09:26:21PM -0400, Slink3r wrote:

> Okay, I have the same sort of problem, unfortunately I'm extremely
> incompetent :(

Nothing a little reading won't fix.

> I'm trying to get screen to simply ding me whenever "devil" from
> irc channel #void speaks

> I figured I could use something like tail -n 5
> /$HOME/.BitchX/logs/#void.log |grep devil and just execute that
> every 3 seconds or something, then if it returns something other
> than null, it could beep me.

Hmm...

> Is there a simple way to do this?

I think so, but I've never done it myself. It's always been a
section of the manpage that I wanted to toy with, but didn't have
reason to (since irssi handles alerts just fine; read elsewhere in
this thread).

If you want to give it a try, though, here's the relevant section:
    $ man 1 screen

--

[Will address@hidden/address@hidden