(no subject)

From: cga2001
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:15:48 -0500

Third attempt at replying. Other two never made it to the
list. This time it seems my SMTP server listens to bounces
on the wrong port.. go figure.

that I am subscribed to.. and apparently due to some problem
with their "autoauthorizer" scheme or my not understanding
what I was supposed to do.. well.. my original reply never
got through.

Phil!Gregory wrote:

>>Does anyone have a working sample of the hack described in the section
>>"TITLES" of the man page.
>>

>No, but I can probably fake it.
>
>Let's say that you're using the default Debian prompt:
>
>  PS1="address@hidden:\w\$ "
>
>The longest string that won't change at the end of your prompt is "$ "
>(unless you're root, but we'll ignore that).  So, in your .screenrc, you
>put:
>
>  shelltitle "$ |bash"
>
>This tells screen to look for the string "$ " to mark the end of a prompt
>(anything after that is the new title of the window).  If it's sitting at
>a prompt, use "bash" as the window title.
>
>You also need to modify your prompt to have that null
>title-escape-sequence:
>
>  PS1='address@hidden:\w\$ '
>

>That should do it.  I just tested this myself and it appears to work.

Works perfectly... now

That's pretty much what I had in my prompt.. Maybe it didn't work
because I was doing it on the fly via a 'Ctrl-A :' rather than
editing .screenrc (?) And since the wording of the man page can be
somewhat cryptic at times I started thinking that I wasn't reading
it correctly.

Sir, many thanks for providing a *much clearer* explanation. imho, t
he above should be added asis to the gnu/screen FAQ.

--

  address@hidden