screen-devel

Re: [screen-devel] Re: [OFF-LIST] Backticks - Was: Patch for displaying

From: Dustin Kirkland
Subject: Re: [screen-devel] Re: [OFF-LIST] Backticks - Was: Patch for displaying inet address in hardstatus
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 21:25:30 -0500

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Chris Jones<address@hidden> wrote:
> Backticks can be fun. :-)
>
> Since my "Desktop Environment" is basically gnu/screen and I do like to
> keep an eye on the system's health, I wrote backticks that do pretty
> much everything apart from making the coffee.

Chris makes a great point.  Backticks are a wonderful thing.

I wrote sort of a "front end" for screen called "byobu" based heavily
upon backticks.
 * http://launchpad.net/byobu

It includes ~30 different "system status notifications" in the form of
backticks, including one for the ip_address, as well as some handy
keybindings and a curses-based configurator.

You can view a demo of byobu in action at:
 * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rBF8byfyvo

You can download Ubuntu, Debian, and Red Hat packages at:
 * https://launchpad.net/~byobu/+archive/ppa
 * http://people.ubuntu.com/~kirkland/byobu/rpm/

Or you can just download and untar this in your home directory (which
will overwrite your ~/.screenrc)
 * http://people.ubuntu.com/~kirkland/byobu/byobu-export.tar.gz

:-Dustin