screen-devel

[screen-devel] Re: [OFF-LIST] Backticks - Was: Patch for displaying inet

From: Chris Jones
Subject: [screen-devel] Re: [OFF-LIST] Backticks - Was: Patch for displaying inet address in hardstatus
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:10:09 -0400

Hello Octave,

Backticks can be fun. :-)

Since my "Desktop Environment" is basically gnu/screen and I do like to
keep an eye on the system's health, I wrote backticks that do pretty
much everything apart from making the coffee.

Since you indirectly raised the issue of contributing, you may want to
try to sell the idea of a "contrib" or "extras" directory in the screen
source tree, that might among other things include backticks for all
seasons.

Maybe s/o or other will flame you for "bloating" not the screen source
itself, but screen's source tree & packaging .. ;-)

But in our times where plugins everywhere, this might be the right
approach - and believe me, if I could readily have found samples of
backticks when I wrote mine, it would have saved me quite a bit of trial
and error.

I'm attaching some working backticks that may be of interest as well as
the relevant part of my ~/.screenrc.

For an idea of what it looks like, You can take a peek at:

http://www.geocities.com/fcky1000/fckz/diff.png

.. or some of the other screenshots in the same ../fckz directory.

Cheers,

CJ