[task #15757] Submission of Guix Translations

From: Ineiev
Subject: [task #15757] Submission of Guix Translations
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 13:18:46 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #17, task #15757 (project administration):

[comment #15 comment #15:]

> Again, this is a constant in GNU projects that use the Translation Project.

I don't think this is correct.

> Msgids (untranslated strings) are copyright the authors of Guix, but the
> translated strings are attributed to individual translators, listed below.
> I can add the word "Copyright", but I'm not sure it changes anything, does
> it?

The authors and the copyright holders are different concepts.  The author is
the person who does the work, the copyright holder is the person who may
legally license the work.  In particular, if the authors assign copyright to
the FSF, they are not copyright holders any more.

In PO files, the authors should be listed separately from the copyright
notices.  GNU documentation explains that records of authors should be kept in
a dedicated file, AUTHORS,
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Recording-Contributors.html

> Alright, I fixed .gitignore and manifest.scm, but I copied CODE-OF-CONDUCT
> from the main Guix repo, where it does not have any license header either.

If a file has no copyright and license notices, it's technically not just
proprietary, it's unredistributable, making any copying a copyright violation.

  <https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?15757>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.nongnu.org/