[Savannah-register-public] [task #12728] Submission of Whonix

From: adrelanos
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #12728] Submission of Whonix
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 21:39:56 +0000

Follow-up Comment #12, task #12728 (project administration):

Okay, 126adretemp has been attached here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/support/download.php?file_id=29088

Please have a look if the COPYING file complies with your requirements.

(Source code licensing should now all be perfectly sorted out.)

I know, this project has already been approved. I don't want to nitpick, steal
your time etc.

But what about licensing of Whonix's binary image?

Since Whonix is a Linux distribution, we build a binary image which users are
free to download. [A virtual machine image (.ova).]

All packages inside the file grml_packages (only a few) and their
dependencies; and all packages listed inside the file debian/control and their
dependencies, are fetched from Debian's main repository. Therefore only
packages complying with Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG) are included
within the binary image.

It may be relevant to note, that packages obtained form Debian's main
repository are binary packages. They are not build from source code while
building Whonix. The source code for any of those packages can be obtained
using apt-get source package-name (DFSG).

So the actual number of packages which are included in the final binary image
is very big and the individual packages have a variety of different licenses.

[The source code and build instructions we are providing however is enough to
build such a binary image from source code.]