[Savannah-register-public] [task #9745] Submission of Block Device Imagi

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: [Savannah-register-public] [task #9745] Submission of Block Device Imaging Tools
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 01:19:56 +0000

In response,

1) The README was the first file written, and was less than entirely clear,
in this sense it serves as a rough roadmap for the project.  BOTH of what you
point out refer to the underlying system--blkclone really only cares what the
POSIX API calls support.  The original target was specifically running under a
Linux kernel, however the blkclone tools doesn't strictly depend on it, aside
from using /proc/sys/kernel/random/uuid to get UUIDs (not actually implemented
yet) and the planned future network-bootable micro-distro.  The former is a
matter of convenience, avoiding the need for our own UUID generation code when
we have something perfectly good in the (Linux) kernel, a "gen-uuid" tool
would suffice under other kernels; the latter is simply what I see as the
easiest way to get there.

Fixed, see revised README, attached.

2) Yes, the documentation will grow, but the file formats and the like (the
stuff in Documentation) will each be as they are.  So I must ask, does
"leaving triviality" refer to the documentation as a whole or to the
individual files?  If the former, then I agree and will probably add a simple
permissive license to the format documents and the like (the stuff in
Documentation/).

Separate manuals/HOWTOs (under GFDL) are planned after the code is more
stable and nearer to completion.

In the case of adding simple permissive licenses, would adding something like
the following to the end of each file be appropriate?

--------
Copyright (C) <year> <name>
Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification, are
permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice and this
notice are preserved.  This file is offered as-is, without any warranty.

(file #18792)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: README                         Size:1 KB